An academic Sexual Imagery Blog written by Lauren Gilbertson for Jil Freeman's COMM 410: Sex & Media course.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 8: Sexualized minorities, "sexual otherness" and heterosexism in media

This week, our class on Monday was cancelled. Therefore this blog post is based on readings assigned this week and by conducting individual research. This week we were to read articles by J. Kim, T. Jenkins and J. Dennis, each article discussing heterosexuality as the "norm" in the media. Each author explored how when same-sex desire is shown in the media it is going against social norms. Specifically, this idea is shown on primetime network TV, recent film and cartoons. As a heterosexual being I have experienced the societal norm as a relationship between a man and a woman. I would agree with the authors that my first response to homosexual content is "this is weird or not normal." Oftentimes I feel uncomfortable when viewing homosexual content, other times I never notice the content as having homosexual tendencies.

Below, I will demonstrate how heterosexual content vs. homosexual content is displayed in the media and how I (and possibly our society) responds to them differently.

Heterosexual: (The following responses are from J. Kim's article; "From Sex to Sexuality: Exposing Heterosexual Script on Primetime Network TV").

- Sexual messages are gendered
- Looking at heterosexual content comes from a feminist perspective
- Depictions of "normal" messages are between men and women
- The heterosexual script: actively pursuing sex
- Female characters are willingly objectifying themselves and being judged based off their sexual conduct

Homosexual: (The following responses are from J. Dennis' article; "Signifying Same-Sex Desire in TV Cartoons").

- Examples of homosexual relationships: Yogi Bear and Boo Boo, companions and domestic partners. Also, Ren and Stimpy, both male characters although one portrays female characteristics often. Also, Spongebob and Patrick, sleepovers together as well as tickle fights. Another relationship would be Mickey Mouse and Goofy, when together it's almost as if Minnie is always absent.
- Erotic desire between characters
- 1970s sparked visibility of gay identities within society and on TV
- 1080s relationships shown as aggressively heterosexual

The above relationships between cartoon characters were a shock to me. This is because until this week I hadn't observed these characters and the extent of their relationships. Before analyzing the characters I thought of them as only best friends, not potential partners or lovers. For the remainder of my post I will continue to analyze characters shown within the media, including film, advertisements, music and TV.

David Bowie "Queen Bitch"
(An example of same-sex desire)

I'm up on the eleventh floor
And I'm watching the cruisers below
He's down on the street
And he's trying hard
to pull sister Flo
My heart's in the basement
My weekend's at an all time low

'Cause she's hoping to score
So I can't see her
letting him go
Walk out of her heart
Walk out of her mind

[CHORUS]
She's so swishy in her satin and tat
In her frock coat
and bipperty-bopperty hat
Oh God, I could do better than that

She's an old-time ambassador
Of sweet talking, night walking games
And she's known in the darkest clubs
For pushing ahead of the dames
If she says she can do it
Then she can do it,
she don't make false claims
But she's a Queen,
and such are queens
That your laughter
is sucked in their brains
Now she's leading him on
And she'll lay him right down
But it could have been me
Yes, it could have been me
Why didn't I say,
why didn't I say, no, no, no

[CHORUS]

So I lay down a while
And I gaze at my hotel wall
Oh the cot is so cold
It don't feel like no bed at all
Yeah I lay down a while
And I look at my hotel wall
But he's down on the street
So I throw both his bags down the hall
And I'm phoning a cab
'Cause my stomach feels small
There's a taste in my mouth
And it's no taste at all

It could have been me
Oh yeah, it could have been me
Why didn't I say,
Why didn't I say, no, no, no

Timon and Pumbaa, The Lion King
(An example of homosexual characteristics between two male cartoon characters)

Photo courtesy Glogster

Marissa & Alex on The OC
(An example of teenage homosexual "phases" that are portrayed in popular TV shows)
Click here for a video compilation *please excuse the cheesiness of the clip
Photo courtesy After Ellen

Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly on The Office
(white, employed, good looking, (typical) heterosexual couple shown in popular TV show)

Photo courtesy Tumblr

Gisele Bundchen and Tom Brady
(One of the "hottest" couples in the world - heterosexual/the norm/the ideal)
Photo courtesy Life & Style

No comments:

Post a Comment